Professional Photographer - Dennis Kelley Photography
2010 to present
Award-winning, published professional photographer who loves all genres of photography, but focuses most of my shooting on family and senior portraiture, wildlife, and landscape photography.
Patrol Commander - City of Alamo Heights
1995 to 2016
- Promoted to positions of increasing authority and responsibility due to exemplary performance and strong management abilities.
- Provided outstanding leadership in the law enforcement field, coordinating and facilitating an effective work structure for a staff of 16 members while delegating responsibility accordingly to ensure smooth and efficient operations.
- Efficiently scheduled personnel, offering organization and resource management in incidents of illness, inclement weather and unexpected circumstances to maximize productivity and efficiency.
- Promptly responded to and evaluated reported incidents while providing efficient conflict management and resolution in high-pressure, sensitive situations to assure optimal success.
- Effectively handled a variety of key administrative duties including performing extensive data analysis and producing accurate and timely employee performance reports for review by the Chief of Police.
- Employed proactive problem solving abilities to reduce tension and facilitate a top-quality working environment.
- Acted as a liaison between departments and fostered open communication with other officials, displaying a strong commitment to teamwork and department values.
- Retained an assertive command over arising situations, providing effective guidance, delegation and resolution.
- Provided continuous input for budgetary needs across divisions to drive departmental growth.
- Served as a key contributor in the construction process of a new police facility, including communicating with vendors, contractors and city staff, conducting research in order to acquire new equipment and supporting the installation and configuration of cutting-edge communication technology.
Adjunct Police Instructor - Alamo Area Regional Law Enforcement Academy
2006 to 2013
- Delivered classroom instruction for basic police officer courses for the regional Police Academy including developing course outlines, lesson plans and instructional aids, conducting and reviewing written examinations and demonstrating physical tactics.
- Provided instruction for in-service training consistently exceeding state minimums.
- Developed and utilized a wide variety of instructional techniques and formats to significantly increase the productivity of participants.
- Developed interactive and innovative strategies to increase outcomes-based results.
- Designed and administered course curriculum to ensure maximum effectiveness of training and utilized after-course surveys to tailor new coursework.
- Incorporated industry beliefs and professional development guides for participants to achieve proper industry exposure.
- Organized and conducted several workshops, presentations, orientations and training sessions to increase the use of industry best practices.
Federal Bureau of Investigation, National Academy: 2014
Graduate, Session 258
- The FBI National Academy is a professional course of study for U.S. and international law enforcement leaders that serves to improve the administration of justice in police departments and agencies at home and abroad and to raise law enforcement standards, knowledge, and cooperation worldwide. Its mission is “to support, promote, and enhance the personal and professional development of law enforcement leaders by preparing them for complex, dynamic, and contemporary challenges through innovative techniques, facilitating excellence in education and research, and forging partnerships throughout the world.”
- Relevant Coursework: Managing Organizational Change and Development, Conflict Resolution for Law Enforcement Executives, Contemporary Issues in Law Enforcement, Stress Management, Fitness for Law Enforcement, Enlightened Leadership.
University of Virginia: 2014
Graduate Certificate, Criminal Justice Education
Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, TX: 2012
M.S. in Criminal Justice Leadership and Management, GPA: 4.0
- Relevant Coursework: Emergent Issues and Perspectives in Organizational Theory, Community Theory, Leadership Psychology, Legal Aspects of Management, Research Methods and Qualitative Analysis
- Relevant Projects: Application of “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” into Criminal Justice Organizations; Evaluation of the effectiveness of the Trap, Neuter, and Return program for the feral cat population; Developed GIS operational model for data presentation and analysis related to criminal activities in the City of Huntsville.
Bill Blackwood Law Enforcement Management Institute of Texas, Leadership Command College: 2010
Graduate, Class 63
- Development of administrative, analytical, and executive skills of current and future law enforcement leaders. By examining public administration, management issues, the political, legal, and social environments of policing, and advance technical issues, it has inspired excellence in leadership. The instructional curriculum consists of three modules and was a balance of proven management practice and sound academic research.
- Relevant Coursework: Community Policing, Physical Fitness, Constitutionalism, Ethical Challenges, Political Survival, Professional Integrity, Emotional Survival, Statistics, Criticism Management, Budget Development and Management, Situational Leadership, Effective Leadership, Leadership Psychology, Personal Leadership.
Texas State University, San Marcos, TX
Bachelor of Applied Arts & Sciences
- Awards/Honors: National Dean’s List
- Clubs/Activities: Cycling Team – Member
San Antonio College, San Antonio, TX
Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice, GPA: 3.556
- Awards/Honors: Honors List, President’s Honors List
Administration, Affirmative Action, Applicant Tracking Systems, Background Checks, Budget Process, Candidate Selection, Collaboration, Communication, Confidentiality, Customer Service, Data Entry, Employee Engagement, Employee Training, Employment Law, Labor Relations, Leadership, Management, Negotiation, Networking, Performance Motivation, Payroll, Policy Writing, Problem Solving, Project Management, Public Speaking, Purchasing, Records Management, Relationship Building, Research, Social Media, Statutory Compliances, Team Building, Teamwork, Wage & Hour Laws, Writing